Common Household Dangers for Pet Parrots Part One:

There are many things in and around our homes that pose a risk to our birds. Being aware of these risks can help to keep your bird safe!

Non-stick cookware: Any product that contains Teflon, PFOA or PTFE can be extremely dangerous to your bird. When these items are heated up, thy release toxic fumes which are deadly to birds. Many items of kitchen cookware can contain these products, so it’s always best to double check that what you have is safe to use. Items such as frying pans, saucepans, waffle makers, hair dryers, slow cookers and air fryers all sometimes contain Teflon, PFOA or PTFE, so check with the manufacturer if you aren’t sure.

Other pets: You’ll see many cute videos online of birds playing with dogs and cats, but all it can take is one accident or rough play mistake for your bird to get injured. The saliva of cats also contains lots of bacteria and is toxic to birds, so in our opinion, it is better to keep your pets separate in order to keep them all safe!

Toxic food and plants: Birds are more sensitive to different plants and food items compares to us and other pets! Avocado is especially toxic to birds and should never be offered. There are also a multitude of plants which are toxic to birds, and sometimes only certain parts are dangerous for birds. Make sure you check multiple safe and toxic lists before offering anything to your bird, or before bringing any plants or flowers into the home.

Plants and flowers to avoid in the home due to their toxicity are:

  • Poinsettias
  • Holly
  • Lilies
  • Daffodils
  • Mistletoe
  • Avocado

Toxic fumes: Many scented products can cause significant respiratory distress, and even death in parrots. Birds have an efficient respiratory system for flight, which allows rapid oxygen absorption. Unfortunately this also means that any toxins in the air are also absorbed much faster.

Things to avoid having in your home which can harm your bird:

  • Candles
  • Air fresheners
  • Wax melts
  • Household cleaning supplies
  • Perfumes
  • Self cleaning ovens
  • Hair spray

Indigestible fibres: Happy huts, rope toys and cage covers are all often made from indigestible fibres. When birds chew and swallow these, they can get stuck in their crop or another part of their digestive system. It is very difficult for birds to pass these fibres, so often invasive veterinary treatment is needed. Always opt for natural materials when sourcing toys and perches for your bird.

Cables and wires: If there’s one thing we know about birds, it’s that if there’s something dangerous in the room, they will try and find it! When it comes to cables and wires, we can to avoid allowing our birds to chew on them. Not only due to the risk of electrocution, but also if they ingest any of the cable or coating, they run the risk of crop impaction like the indigestible fibres.

There are many more household dangers for pet birds, so this will be an ongoing series. Please always double check anything you give your birds access to!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: